Remember that half the joy of achievement is in the anticipation.

Monday, October 20, 2008

Apples

What is it about the apple? I love apples but sometimes I think it's got to be one of the most under rated fruits out there. This pretty little globe of fruit comes in so many different varieties, each one having it's own unique taste and "talent". Granny smiths are great when cooking, especially with pork or chicken. Mixing sweet Golden Delicious, Fuji, Pink Lady or Macintosh with a more tart Pippin or Granny Smith and tossing them into your salads adds a nice punch and crunch! Apples are just cute and most keep well, plus scientific studies have shown that eating apples on a regular basis can improve overall health. I guess there really is something in that old saying "An apple a day, keeps the doctor away!", AND did you know that apples contain no fat, no sodium and no cholesterol? Wahoo! Good for you and satisfies that sweet craving at the same time.
I just love apples. Not that you could guess by any means (lol). I'm hoping that this season I'll be able to get my young ones up to an apple orchard where we can pick our own. Being suburbanites we'll need to drive out of the city to find the orchard, but I know it will make for a great day trip as well as a family memory.

So, have you had your apple today?

6 comments:

Bella Della said...

Love the EAT letters. I've been wanting to make some of those.

Dawn said...

My daughter and her family went apple picking yesterday and I brought a bag of apples home with me. I was going to make apple crisp tonight but I didn't have all of the ingredients so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

I love apples. For some reason they even taste better when the weather is cooler!

take care,
Dawn

Carrie said...

I live in apple growing country so there are a variety of apple related events, etc. to enjoy.

Cottage Rose said...

I have always wanted to go and pick my own apples. Take my kids and their kids, how fun. You just gave me an idea to plan a family day trip myself. lol Have fun picking apples. I love the Granny Smith yummy.

Hugs;
Alaura

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

I just bought some apples today at the grocery store :) with other fruits. The pears are so good now and I try to eat them while there are in season...
See you later :)
Deb

Christie said...

I love 'em too! I got a whole big bag today when I got groceries....they are good, and especially good with carmel dip! yum.
xoxo,
Queenie