Remember that half the joy of achievement is in the anticipation.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I'll meet you at Rainbow Bridge....

Saying Good-Bye...

It doesn't seem that long ago that we were introduced and needless to say we were all immediately smitten with you. Your sweet & gentle disposition and furry softness were too much to resist. We "fought" over what your name would be and eventually I won out... The color of your fur reminded me of "Bailey's Irish Cream". She will be called Bailey! Papa snagged your middle name....Tinkerbell..and so it was, you were named
Bailey Tinkerbell Dawg.

You were friend, companion, protector of all, and an important part of our family. Nobody knew how to "give paw" like you, "speak" as loudly as you did, or "lay down" with such a graceful flop. At mealtime there was no dog louder "demanding" her boy to "feed me! feed me!". And whether it was a doorbell, stranger at the door or a flying bug, you were there to protect & conquer. No fly, bee, or cricket stood a chance against your fluff and jaws of speed.

Whether you were playing hide n' seek...Working the runway...(err, patio)
Snagging cigar butts...
Loving your boyor Celebrating your birthday, you did it with happiness .
And although you were an "old lady" you were still there with us, rooting for our team...We loved you more and more each day and yet the inevitable happened...
You continued to grow older...you slowed down...and you slept most of the time. Then I saw it happening...your little light didn't shine as bright and began to fade til it was no more then a flicker. I kept you home with us as long as I could so you'd have your family around you when it was your time to go, but close to the end it was apparent it wasn't going to be easy. Your body was dying and things were happening that would humiliate you, and I knew that if there was anything else I could give you in this life, besides my love, it was your dignity. So in the end, although you were in a doctor's office, it was mine and papa's face you saw at the end. With all the love my heart could hold, and with tears in my eyes, I stroked your head and told you it was okay to go now.

Sleep well Bailey Fa-Failey...we'll see you again at Rainbow Bridge. Wait for us.


Bailey Tinkerbell
November 22, 1997-December 14, 2008

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of Heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. Her bright eyes are intent; Her eager body quivers. Suddenly she begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, her legs carrying her faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

40 comments:

Krysten said...

Oh Rechelle, I am so so sorry. You all are in our thoughts, may you find comfort that Bailey is in a better place now and no longer in pain. (((((hugs)))))

Tara said...

Oh...how my heart aches for you and your family. Please know you are in my prayers.

Grace said...

Rechelle, I'm so sorry to hear about Bailey. Lots of *HUGS* from all of us. I know Bailey is somewhere, happily eating cigars and playing hide 'n seek again.

Michele said...

Oh Rechelle, I'm so sorry. That has to be so hard to deal with. Bailey was just the cutest...at least she is running with her friends now!

Hugz girlfriend!

Michele

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your families loss. Sending hugs and prayers.

Anonymous said...

So sorry for your loss of such a special, loving friend. The photo collage is so special.

Susie Homemaker said...

Rechelle...your post is so touching...I am sorry for your loss...

Blessings,
Susie

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry! We lost our beloved Raven last year around this time. It is so hard to let them go, but you did the right thing. I know Bailey will always be in your heart as Raven is in ours.

Cottage Rose said...

Dear Rechelle; I am so so sorry about your loss. Loosing a beloved pet is so hard, it was a lovely tribute to your Bailey. My prayers are with you and your family.

Hugs;
Alaura

Traci @ The Bakery said...

Rechelle....I'm soooo sorry. I have extreme empathy with you. What a blessing she seemed to be to your family. My prayers are with you.

The Raggedy Girl said...

Rechelle:
I am so sorry about Bailey and at the same time I am so touched by the love you shared with him. My dog that has gone over the Rainbow bridge is Cocoa and I know that Bailey and Cocoa and all the other loved dogs are all playing together and just waiting for us.
Roberta Anne

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Oh Rechelle...
I am so Sorry for the loss of your beloved Bailey. I have been there and cry with you.
Love,
Deb

Anonymous said...

Oh, Rechelle! I'm so sorry to hear about your precious Bailey! I too understand the love and loss of a fur child. What a precious tribute to this lovely dog. My prayers are with you!
Blessings,
Shelia

Joanne Kennedy said...

I knew before I opened your post that I would be crying by the time I finished reading it. Just the title tug at my heart.

I am so sorry about losing your dog. I know how hard it can be. There is nothing like the love of a dog. I'm sure he will be greatly missed.

Hugs,
Joanne

Dawn said...

Oh boy that was hard to read first thing this morning. I am crying with and for you. I am so sorry for your family's loss. What a beautiful tribute you wrote!

take care,
Dawn

Neabear said...

That is a beautiful post. It made me cry. So hard to lose a special pet. It was hard when we had to put ours down in 2002. We had a shelti and his name was Shanti. We got 13 years with him. Lots of good memories. I know you will treasure yours.

LillyB said...

I'm so sorry for your loss honey! But I will pray for you! May your memories bring you comfort and the knowledge that your precious companion is waiting for you!!

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

I am sooooo sorry for the passing of Bailey. Ahh, bless your heart. Bailey was blessed to have you as his keepers. I believe we shall see our pets again. My thoughts & prayers are with you and yours.

Hugs,
Maryjane

Cindy said...

Oh...so sad! I'm so sorry! I just knew when I read this that I wouldn't be able to hold the tears back!!! They sure become such a part of the family!

Unknown said...

Hi Rechelle!
Thanks for your sweet comments on my decor...your home is lovely!

LOVE the song *Happy Birthday JESUS* that was playing when I checking in here...a wonderful local Church does a huge production and this is one of the songs they have a 4-5 yr old sing...its just precious!

So sorry about your loss of a special friend!

Anonymous said...

Rechelle, I am also so very sorry to hear about Baily. We do have such a sad experience to share. Taking care of her was so much a part of our life. It is so hard to realize that she is no longer with us. Your post about Baily is a wonderful tribute to your sweet dog.

Hugs...Jeanne

Angie said...

Bailey was so loved..that is very obvious...I hope that she will meet my Cooper at Rainbow Bridge and they can play....that darn cat always thought he was a dog! Your tribute to her was just beautiful...so glad I keep tissues at my desk..

Neabear said...

Wanted to stop by again and thank you for the birthday wishes. I really enjoyed getting all the nice comments. I hope you are hanging in there.

Linda said...

Rachelle, my heart hurts for you...I'm so sorry for your loss of Bailey. I can see she was a sweet girl and a wonderful companion...take comfort in knowing she had a loving home and she will forever be in your heart...warm hugs, Linda

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

I am so very sorry, my hear goes out to you! Just want to wish you a merry Christmas and many blessing for the new year. Blessings, Kathleen

Anonymous said...

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Bless you for giving Bailey a wonderful home and a dignified release from her sore old body.

Keeping you and your family in my thoughts & prayers.

greta
gsalem on ivillage

Christie said...

Oh Rechelle,
I am so so sorry sweetie...I know that you and your family will miss your sweet Baily...I know your heart hurts... My heart goes out to you and your family. That poem sure is beautiful.
xoxo,
Queenie

Harbor Hon said...

Rechelle,
Sorry to hear this sad news, but be comforted in the knowledge that when Bailey made it to heaven, God was there to pat her head and say, "Good Girl, you did what you were sent to do and loved your family well." My heart goes out to you and your family. I believe you will see her again someday too. xxoo

Kelli said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your sweet doggie. ((((hugs)))
~Kelli

Anne Fannie said...

Oh Rechelle, I have tears in my eyes right now. My heart is breaking for you because I know what its like to lose your little friend, a member of your family. I lost my Sammie Dog 6 years ago and someone had given me that story about the Rainbow Bridge. It brings tears to my eyes everytime I read it because I know he will be waiting for me one day at the Rainbow Bridge.
Hugs to you.....
Love, Ann

Jorgelina said...

Oh Rechelle, I'm so sorry...
Your post about Baily is a wonderful tribute to your sweet dog.
Jorgelina from Argentina

Carrie said...

Beautiful post...though I'm saddened to hear of Bailey's death, i am happy to know that your memories of him are so wonderful.

Lynne said...

So sorry about Bailey. It's my first visit here and just had to convey my thoughts.
Lynne

Anonymous said...

Rechelle, I came over to thank you for your comment on our cookie day. I had a good cry when I read your Baily post again. We are still grieving for our Babette but we did the right thing I am sure. To ease our sad hearts I am posting a tribute to Babs on Monday. My dh is so wanting me to honor our sweet pet. Your post about Baily is beautiful.

Well I am enjoying your great music so much I hate to leave but I must go.

Hugs...Jeanne

jen said...

Couldn't hold back my tear as I read this. Sorry for your loss. What a beautiful post!

Jen

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

Awwwww, Recehlle, I am so very sorry for your loss! I'm sitting her crying my eyes out!
I know this has been so very hard for all of you.
Take care!

Anonymous said...

This is my first visit and i am so sad about Baily but to read also your wonderful memories of Baily is good. Everybody who loves animals know how hard it is to let them go when the time is there !
You're in my thoughts,
Janneke.

Anonymous said...

*tight hugs*....
What a beautiful memorial of pictures and times you have shared with us. I'm sorry for your loss...I know how you feel I have had the same experience...
remember all the lovely memories..
all good thoughts...
Judi

Linda said...

Thinking of you...warm hugs, Linda

Donna said...

Oh my gosh, Rechelle.. I am sitting here with tears streaming down my face right now. Bailey was the most beautiful doggums ever, and you just wrote the absolute most beautiful tribute I've ever read. I connected with every word you wrote and I am feeling your pain. What a luck dog Bailey was to have you - and what a lucky family you were to have Bailey. I do believe with all my heart and soul that they will be there waiting for us at the Rainbow Bridge. Big hugs to you, Donna @ An Enchanted Cottage