Remember that half the joy of achievement is in the anticipation.

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Useable accessories

I've really been concentrating on my laundry room and making it as welcoming as I can without losing any of it's functionality. I've been giving it a mini makeover this season. I began with the de-cluttering and organizing and am now on the accessorizing. I love that accessories bring life into a room and share the homeowners personality as well. As of late I've been obsessed with containers in which to store the powder detergent and the Clorox 2. I don't like, and I mean I REALLY DON'T LIKE the containers the aforementioned items come in. They clash with my colors. Yes, little things like that irk the heck out of me. Plus the fact that I have to buy in bulk/large sizes is just a fact of life around here. The laundry room space is small and leaving the detergent container "out" makes it feel cluttered and ugly :0(. Right now I've got my detergent in one of the old canisters...the largest one and yet that is to small and I'm refilling the darn thing every few days. sigh*. Then I got on line to find some inspiration and found these...

I love how the "soap" is in an old seltzer bottle.
I could sooo do this with my Clorox 2
or Fabric Softener...

Love the glass containers on the counter to the left
and really dig this idea
but can I find something large enough?
Now this is just too stinking cute!
Would be great for that "OxyClean"
powder...
Really love this look
but they just aren't big enough...


I know I've got something around here. It's time to shop the house/garage/patio and storage areas...
To Be Continued...

8 comments:

Faye said...

THIS IS BEAUTIFUL AND SO ORGANIZED!EVERYTHING HAS A PLACE.I WILL BE BACK TO SEE WHAT ELSE YOU DONE! BLESSINGS, FAYE

Anonymous said...

Hi Rechelle, You have got me thinking now.....how about those large popcorn tins or the antique tins that Charles' potato chips use to come in? You could cover them any way you like and they would keep your detergent fresh.

Anonymous said...

Your fortunate to have such a tidy little corner. I'm looking forward to seeing more!

Ali @ A Cosy Life

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Hi Rechelle,
I wish my laundry room looked like the 2nd one:) Mine is from the 70's
and don't have any idea when it will get a makeover:)
I like the idea from Mildred...using an old chip tin would work!!
Happy Easter..
Warmly,
Deb

jen said...

Your laundry area looks very neat and tidy!!

I don't know what kind of canisters you are currently using, but Walmart has some very large glass containers for a very reasonable price.

Have a great day!

Jen

Traci @ The Bakery said...

Rechelle, they have LARGE glass ones at Garden Ridge...do you have one of those? Also, yes, the popcorn tins....look on my blog for the projects I want to do some day.....dog food container....I think you could use that. I have one now for my dog food and just painted one today for birdseed....just need to add cute knobs on top. Also, you can use the ETCHING stuff on the glass jars...or the vinyl letters to label the stuff.

Tracy said...

Hi Rechelle! These ideas are all so pretty, and I love those big glass canisters too. I saw them at Target and almost bought a couple but couldn't think what to do with them. Maybe I'll have to switch to powder detergent!

joyh82 said...

Whoa..great idea's. I would love to make my laundry more like this..