Remember that half the joy of achievement is in the anticipation.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Shake, Rattle, & Roll...

Oh My Goodness! We had us a big one today. It's been a while since we had us a good shaker. Preliminary reports put us at a 5.8 magnitude but it seems to be changing to 5.4 and 5.6. I'm sure they'll figure it all out by tomorrow. I've all ready felt two aftershocks and believe me, this is enough earthquake all ready. No real damage here Thank God! We're located about 20 mins from the epicenter and I can show you the new little cracks that have appeared. As we lay under the dining room table, I could hear things falling, the sound of glass clinking and the water sloshing in the pool...I tell ya', I must have held my breath the entire time. When the shaking finally stopped the first thing I did was check our gas and water lines. All clear! I went around the house noticed all my china had been knocked to the doors of the hutch. I had just put a ponytail holder around the knobs and if not for that, the doors would have opened and my china would have been in bits and pieces. All the artwork is askew and the Kinkade in my bedroom fell off the wall. It didn't break but the frame is nicked. The strangest thing though. For those following my adventures in DIY Kitchen Facelift, you'll know we do not have cabinet doors right now so I thought for sure everything would come down. It didn't! A couple of cups, some tupperware and that's it. My vintage corningware, my fine china and all my crystal was fine. Some of it was literally teetering on the edges of the shelves, but it didn't fall. I went around pushing things back into place and I think for tonight, I may take some of the items down.
For such a jaw wrenching shaker...we came out all right.
Per the news, there have been no reports of damage or injury either. Thank God!

13 comments:

Connie said...

I'd better call my son in Morena Valley then. Whoooooa, chickee, that's terrible. I remember the one in 1989 in Oakland. That's why we left California then. Kids still there though............
Smoochies,
Connie

Connie said...

Yep, called son and they're fine. He said he was sleeping when it happened and he was dreaming about earthquakes. How ironic! But he has kids at the pool at the school now and they're just having a ball and not worrying. Shaker though.
Smoochies,
Connie

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

I'm SO glad you guys are alright. How scary. I just can't image the whole thing. Also so glad that not much damage aroung the house. Maybe you should MOVE....
The pillow is pinks. My camera isn't very good, and I bought them from Connie's store.:) Take care putting things back in order. WOW..
warmly, Deb

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

So glad to hear that y'all are okay! Too bad about the damage to your things, but they are replaceable.
We actually had a minor earthquake here in Alabama a few years ago. We were wakened by the bed shaking and could here loud cracks and pops. In all my life, that was my first experience like that. We didn't have any damage to speak of, but it sure did shake up our nerves!

Dawn said...

I can't imagine being in an earthquake. I have been through a couple of hurricanes though. I am so glad to read you had little damage and that there were no reports of serious injury. SCARY!

take care,
Dawn

Kim's Treasures said...

Oh my goodness! So glad you are safe! I heard about it on the news...how scary! I felt an earthquake here in Michigan back in 1987 and it was the strangest thing!
Have a great day!
Kim

Unknown said...

WOW...I am so glad that you and your family are safe and no real damages. I remember many quakes in the Seattle area..especially one in 1964..I was 6 at the time and remember we were eating and my mom made us stand in the doorways. No serious damage at our home..but my dad had to duck for plaster was flying everywhere at work. Memories!

Thanks for stopping by my blog and joining on my fun giveaway. I love meeting new peoples and I also added you to my list of blog friends! I enjoyed visited your blog and LOVE your vintage tablecloth. I too have similar one that was my MIL...with yellow around the edging and gorgeous RED roses.

You have a blessed safe day...Lorena

Krysten said...

Glad you are all safe and sound. By the way I love love the christening gown. We have one in our family that all of us girls(5 in all) wore. My sister has it now and had a porcelin doll made to fit it.

Myrna said...

Wow! Only 20 minutes from the epicenter and not much damage? What a blessing!!
Living in So Cal for 20+ years, earthquakes became a part of life for us..still shakes ya up (pardon the pun)tho, every time!
Our son and daughter-in-love live in Seal Beach and had a few things fall, but no real damage..
Glad to hear you're fine!!

Heather said...

Oh my goodness! I can not imagine what that must be like! Glad you are okay and that no damage was done!
Thank You so much for stopping by my blog and leaving such sweet comments. I'm glad you did as I have been enjoying your blog for the last hour!!
Good luck on those cabinets hinges- I did that a couple of years ago and thought I would never finish- when I did it was SO well worth it!!
Stop by anytime! I'll be back!!
-Heather :)

Katie said...

I felt your earthquake! We're 60 miles so. of Las Vegas. I was on the computer and my floor started rolling. I was chatting online and said well gals, there was just an earthquake somewhere.

Beyond delighted you and your family are all ok. Good thing the china is okay too. Whew!

Since your first visit to my blog I did open my selling blog so stop by and link on over!

Hope your phone line situation is all worked out!

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Hi Rechelle,
It's me Deb. I have a question for you. Could you email me and then I can email you with my question. Thanks.
Is everything back to normal??
Take care.
Deb

A Romantic Porch said...

Wow! I'm so glad you guys came through it OK. xorachel